Welcome to a sanctuary in your inbox…
I love teaching 4 week immersive online yoga courses where I can get to know the beautiful students who practice with me, explore philosophy and poetry, self reflection and meditation, and provide practices that you can do both live and on your own time…
Mostly, I love providing students with tools to take care of themselves, with a framework that supports them in healing and growth, peace, compassion, and loving kindness, as well as strength and flexibility!
So far, I have taught 3 introductory courses.
For my next course I’m going deeper.
And here’s the real beauty with a deeper exploration — it actually takes less time!
Because you’re already familiar with the introductory methods: meditation, journaling, taking live or recorded classes, you can simply dive right in.
My next course, The Path of Love: Coming Home to Yourself, will be from February 5th through April 5th.
It will be deeper because you will be committing yourself to the practice longer, for 90 days instead of 30.
And that time commitment makes all the difference in the world.
Rather than going from introductory 30 day course to introductory 30 day course, or only taking one introductory course then dropping in to a class every now and then, you’ll commit to 90 days of meditating for 10 or so minutes daily, writing in a gratitude journal at the end of your day, and taking a live class with me once or twice a week…
This is a small time commitment on a daily basis, and something even those of us with busy schedules can commit to. But doing these practices for 90 days will reap incredible benefits by bringing you home to yourself, opening and grounding your heart, clearing and focusing your mind, making you physically stronger and more flexible, and helping you sleep better, to name just a few invaluable benefits…
And don’t just take my word for it!
In putting together the course I’m teaching right now, Making the Mental Shift, both Joy and I have done a lot of research into the scientifically proven benefits of both meditation and yoga, and it’s phenomenal.
5 Ways Meditating and Practicing Yoga Benefit You:
- The Gray Matter Density in Your Brain Changes
- Gray matter is the part of the central nervous system whose main duties are taking care of muscle control and sensory perception, like hearing, seeing, and remembering. Practicing yoga and meditating for 12 weeks creates a positive change in gray matter.
- At Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard researchers studied people’s brains who participated in the Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) Program, using a combination of meditation and mindful movement practices like yoga.
- Comparing images before and after a few months of meditating and practicing yoga, they discovered that the hippocampus (the part that relieves stress), had much denser gray matter. They predict that the density in this particular section of the mind can lead to more self awareness, as well as sharper memory and learning skills.
- There is More Cortical Folding in Your Brain
- Cortical folding is a good thing. It’s known in the medical community as gyrification, and it occurs in the cerebral cortex when you meditate and do yoga on a regular basis. The more cortical folds you’ve got, the better your neural processing is. You process information quicker, make clearer decisions, and your memory is sharper.
- In the Laboratory of Neuro Imaging at UCLA, researchers found that gyrification might even offset age-related cortical thinning.
- In other words, you could keep a youthful brain for a longer amount of time.
- Increased Mental Plasticity
- Researchers at Stanford University have found that regular meditation increases the plasticity of the brain, and can also positively affect telomeres, the caps on the end of your DNA strands that act like a marker of your cellular age and generally get shorter as you get older.
- Researchers also found persistent increased activity on the left side of the prefrontal cortex which is associated with feelings of joy and serenity.
- Your Cortisol Levels Drop
- Both meditating and practicing yoga reduce cortisol levels. Cortisol is a heavy duty hormone that appears when you’re stressed; it activates the amygdala, also known as the fear center, and shrinks the pre-frontal cortex, which manages self control and discipline.
- Studies have found that a regular practice of meditation and yoga causes cortisol levels to drop, leading to less stress.
- In 2005, German researchers found that women who were struggling with mental illness reported they felt less stress and less fatigue after 3 months of regular yoga and meditations classes. After running comprehensive tests, they discovered that even the subject’s saliva contained less cortisol after just one session of yoga.
- Your Parasympathetic Nervous System is Activated
- Yoga and meditation are renowned for stimulating this “rest and digest” part of your brain, calming you down and restoring overall balance in your life.
- Sarah Dologonos, M.D., is a yoga teacher at Ananda Ashram in New York, and she told Forbes that when the parasympathetic nervous system is activated, a more relaxed brain is just the start of it. “Blood is directed toward endocrine glands, digestive organs, and lymphatic circulation, while the heart rate and blood pressure are lowered,” Dologonos says.
- With the parasympathetic nervous system in gear, “our bodies can better extract nutrients from the food we eat, and more effectively eliminate toxins because circulation is enhanced. With parasympathetic activation, the body enters into a state of restoration and healing.”
And if that weren’t enough, keeping a gratitude journal also improves your health and well being, reducing stress, helping you sleep better, and increasing joy:
5 Ways Practicing Gratitude Benefits You:
- Gratitude Improves Physical Health
- Grateful people experience fewer aches and pains and they report feeling healthier than other people, according to a 2012 study published in Personality and Individual Differences. Not surprisingly, grateful people are more likely to take care of their health.
- Gratitude Improves Psychological Health
- Gratitude reduces a multitude of toxic emotions, ranging from envy and resentment to frustration and regret. Robert A. Emmons, Ph.D., a leading gratitude researcher, has conducted multiple studies on the link between gratitude and well being. His research confirms that gratitude effectively increases joy and reduces depression.
- Grateful People Sleep Better
- Writing in a gratitude journal improves sleep, according to a 2011 study published in Applied Psychology: Health and Well-Being. Spend just 15 minutes jotting down a few grateful sentiments before bed, and you may sleep better and longer.
- Gratitude Improves Self-esteem
- A 2014 study published in the Journal of Applied Sport Psychology found that gratitude increased athlete’s self-esteem, which is an essential component to optimal performance. Other studies have shown that gratitude reduces social comparisons. Rather than becoming resentful toward people who have more money or better jobs – which is a major factor in reduced self esteem – grateful people are able to appreciate other people’s accomplishments.
- Gratitude Increases Mental Strength
- For years, research has shown gratitude not only reduces stress, but it may also play a rmajor role in overcoming trauma. Recognizing all you have to be grateful for – even during the worst times of your life – fosters resilience.
Imagine what your life will be like after 90 days of meditating and practicing yoga regularly, as well as keeping a gratitude journal…
These three simple, powerful practices will increase your level of joy, quality of sleep, peace of mind, longevity, overall health, physical well being, emotional equanimity, cultivating greater peace and calm, as well as mental focus, clarity and presence.
And every one of these practices is something you can do with a busy lifestyle.
In fact, incorporating these practices into your life will increase your level of energy and productivity by improving the quality of your sleep and how you feel mentally and physically.
So, simply by practicing a short meditation in the morning, taking a yoga class once or twice a week, and writing in your gratitude journal before going to bed, you will have more time and energy in your day to day life, not less!
This is an investment worth making for yourself, mentally, physically, emotionally. It will bring you greater joy, health, and well being, and in so doing bring greater joy, health and well being to everyone you’re in relationship with, from your most intimate partner to the cashier at your local grocery store.
It’s a gift that keeps giving.
3 simple practices. Lifelong benefits.
And to top it all off, I will provide you with the gratitude journal, a beautiful handmade notebook that I can send to you either as it is, or that I will joyfully decorate for you with a collage of color, images and inspiring quotes! All you have to do is fill out a simple information gathering form with questions like: what’s your favorite color? season? animal? flower? You get the gist. 😉
I will personally create a special collage cover for you and your gratitude journal…
And I’ve been making collage covers for journals and correspondence notebooks for almost 20 years now, so you’ll be in good hands!
There are 2 packages for The Path of Love: Coming Home to Yourself…
- 3 recorded meditations a week + weekly journal prompts, quotes, ideas & inspirations
- 1 live yoga class a week + a last Sunday of the month Gratitude Flow & Sweet Surrender class where we’ll practice a luscious flow & let go 60 minute class, followed by a 10 minute guided meditation, then share with one another what we’re grateful for from the month.
- Your gratitude journal, a handmade journal for you to decorate
- The Basic Plus:
- An extra recorded meditation each week for 4 recorded meditations a week
- Three 60 minute private sessions with me. One hour long private session with me via zoom or over the phone each month where we can go over anything you might be struggling with or that you’d like to explore in greater depth, from yoga poses to journal writing to meditation, or anything else you’d like my guidance with.
- A Gratitude Gift Box with: your gratitude journal designed by me specifically for you, a handmade meditation cushion, and a handmade eye pillow…
Everything is recorded and you will have life long access to all materials no matter which package you choose.
(Hand made meditation cushions & eye pillows. These are just a few samples. There are a variety of different colors and patterns for you to choose from!)
(Journals designed personally by me…)
I love making journals, and would love to make one personally for you!
The retail price for the basic is $465 and $725 for the extra juicy support, but…
Because you guys are awesome and you’ve taken the leap with me in this online teaching sanctuary and adventure I’m offering you a special I am grateful for you! discount of $395 for the Basic and $625 for the Extra Juicy Support…
They are both wonderful options, but if you’d like one on one support once a month, an extra recorded meditation to get you through the week, and a beautiful one of a kind Gratitude Gift Box, then I highly encourage you to invest in the Extra Juicy Support package.
In my experience, having one on one mentoring and guidance is invaluable and brings you to a level in your practice that can otherwise be elusive.
Also, the Gratitude Gift Box is a unique treasure. It’s like having your sacred space of meditation, journaling, and practicing the most luscious pose in yoga, savasana, right there for you. A beautiful, heartfelt reminder that you are worth this investment of tender loving care…
Remember, this is 90 full days of committing to yourself. 3 whole months. 1/4 of the year! It’s huge!
It’s one of the best gifts you can give yourself for the New Year. And the happier and healthier you are, the happier and healthier the world is, the happier and healthier everyone in your community is, especially those closest to you. The more you take care of yourself, the more you take care of others.
Love yourself dear one.
It’s time to take care of you.
Come home to yourself with the Basic Package here
Come home to yourself with the Extra Juicy Support Package (including 3 private one on one sessions with me and your very own Gratitude Gift Box), here
I hope to see you soon on the meditation cushion and the yoga mat.
With so much love,
P.S. For those of you in Making the Mental Shift, because I’m super grateful for you, and so that you don’t have to wait until February 5th to begin this amazing life training course, if you sign up by midnight on December 23rd I’m including one whole month free!
Sign up by midnight on 12/23 and your Path of Love: Coming Home to Yourself, will begin on January 5th instead of February 5th, for the same price!
One whole month for free because you guys rock!
Come home to yourself with one free month with the Basic Package here
Come home to yourself with one free month with the Extra Juicy Support Package (including 3 private one on one sessions with me and your very own Gratitude Gift Box), here